Wednesday, September 21, 2011

(Gr.11) Planets and Space (Gr.12) Arcview Place Names (Gr. 9) PMOC and Road Map Interpretation

Today's Learning Goals

Grade 11
I can distinguish between Terresrtial and Jovian Planets.
I can list a single identify characteristic of each of our planets.

Grade 12
I can use the internet to find the latitude and longitude of specific places.
I can organize latitude and longitude information into an excel table.
In Arcview I can plot the positions of places on to a map given latitude and longitude information organized in an excel table.

Grades 9
I can produce a simple map of Canada in Arcview.
I can interpret a road map by decoding information found on the map.

Today's Lessons

Grade 11
Show the film Bill Nye "Planets". Questions attached
Show the film Bill Nye "Outer Space" - Each student is to watch the film and compose two questions about the film. These questions will be assembled by me and provided back to the students for review.

Grade 12
Provide instruction and time for students to research Canadian Place Names (Assignemt attached):

Remember Friday:

Compose a brief report explaining what geomatics is including the 3 main components of geomatics: Cartography, GIS and Remote Sensing.